An imposing stone building
The Utfall house was completed in 1689. City court judge Jakob V Utfall commissioned the building of a stone house on the site where Fiskekrogen stands today. Because its surrounding buildings consisted mostly of low, simple, red or yellow wooden houses, the three-storey house was a very imposing building.
Niclas Sahlgren moves in
During the 1760s, one of Sweden’s richest men, Niclas Sahlgren, moved into the house. He was a director of the Swedish East Indian Company and a philanthropist, donating large sums of money for, among other things, the construction of a hospital in Göteborg. In Amsterdam, Niclas Sahlgren got to know another wealthy man – Jonas Alströmer – who is today most famous for having brought the potato to Sweden.
The city burns
In 1804, a fierce fire ravaged Göteborg, leaving most of the buildings in the area between Kungsgatan, Västra Hamngatan and the Stora Hamn canal in ashes. Even the Utfall house lay in ruins.
Olof Wijk purchases the plot
The plot lay empty for more than 50 years before Olof Wijk, head of a division of the Swedish Board of Trade, bought it at auction. He commissioned the same architect who designed the Fiskekyrkan fish market, Lieutenant Wictor von Gregerfelt, to design a four-storey house. Construction began in 1851 and was completed two years later. The house held Olof Wijk’s office as well as reception rooms for official entertaining, but also served as a home for his family and household staff. For more than 70 years, the house was passed down through the Wijk family. In 1925, the last heir Hjalmar Wijk sold the property to an insurance company.
After the house was sold, it underwent extensive renovation. The ground floor was transformed into a restaurant and in 1929 Restaurant Café de Commerce moved to the property at Lilla Torget. Here, shipowners, directors and senior officials from the shipping companies, together with merchants, discussed business matters over a good supper. Many romances also began at the dance restaurant. Many older couples fondly remember the first time they met at the lively Commerce.
City’s first Chinese restaurant
In 1957, the city opened its first Chinese restaurant in the inner section of Commerce. The then owner caused a sensation by hiring Chinese chefs, something which was revolutionary at the time.
Time for fish
Following a small kitchen fire in 1971, a new restaurant was opened in 1972 with a completely new concept. Göteborg had gotten a true fish restaurant. After 15 years, Fiskekrogen was bought by restaurateurs Jan Pavel and Heinz Eisenbeisser who continued to run the restaurant under the same name.
Fish interest as a clear thread
On 11 March 1996, a new captain took the helm at Fiskekrogen – Lars Ahlström. After 20 years as owner of the fish wholesaler Allt i Fisk and owner of the Sjömagasinet restaurant, Lars Ahlström had found a new challenge.
“Treasures of the sea” into the future
Ett årtionde följde med fantastiska recensioner, fina priser och nöjda kunder. Fiskekrogen tog plats på Göteborgs kroghimmel som stadens bästa fisk- och skaldjursrestaurang.
New food concept in newly renovated premises!
After 22 years, Lars Ahlström continues to take Fiskekrogen to new heights. In an environment steeped in history, Göteborg and the sea serve both classic and innovative dishes, featuring the treasures of the sea, of course!